Thursday, September 22, 2011

Sculpted Prims and trading



Importing the sculpted prim into second life I still had several choices to make: what texture to apply onto it, and what motion script to apply to it to relate it to some aspect of my stop motion.

The texture i chose was a blank texture with very high shininess and a slight glow with a suction bumpiness, resulting in a material not unlike the facade tube-like structure in my motion design. I wanted it to relate somehow physically back to my building, because I realised that the object was more furniture and less architectural, and needed some relation to my personal building.

The Motion was a little trickier. The aspect of gifting i was looking at specifically was the gift of light. So it was appropriate to reflect on the motion directly at the end of my video, where I investigate the effect the sun has on my building throughout the day, in terms of shining through the gaps and creating different qualities of light (by varying the amount of light shing through the gaps depending on the angle of the sun to the facade). So I modelled that - replicating the sculpted prim and applying a slow rotation script. The one above rotates at half the rate to the one below, more interesting that having them rotate at the same rate. It also brought more attention the direct relation they have on each other, also as they rotate in opposite directions, outlining that inverse relation the sun + shadows have on each other (as the sun moves anti-clockwise, the shadows repliacte the movement but clockwise).

After displaying all our sculpted prims on the red carpet we had to trade our prims with each other. Several avatars requested permission to use the rotating piece, so I set it on so that anyone may be able to use it. I was most fascinated in Annabel's wall sample piece (second photograph, sculptie on the right), especially because of the texture, that I want to investigate into later

No comments:

Post a Comment