Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Working on Detail




I'm generally a person that doesn't like waking up to direct light, I go home and close all the blinds in my room, and if i wake up to light shining brightly inside I find it really annoying, I don't know if that's just me. I guess that's another reason why I chose this place - if my head lies on the bottom sail so that im facing upward through the center when i wake up (the second photo), the amount of light I wake up to is 'just right.' It's like waking up in a room with a subtle amount of light that greets you back into the world, as opposed to a strong blinding light rejects you from waking up peacefully. Reflecting back on my original idea I then noticed that as you move your head around, the light dances and casts abstract figures and shapes because the patterns of the silver cylinders change their relation to each other (since they're at different distances, the angle between them in relation to your head will change as you move your head). It means no two waking up experiences will ever be the same. The best way to explain this idea would be a photograph of my paper model under a lamp, looking at the dynamics of the shadows it forms.

Hope that explains what I'm getting at. The detail i'll be focussing on is the interweaving of these pipes to block out and break down the light, I'll post a picture of my progress soon

No comments:

Post a Comment